Networker

Re: [Networker] Licensing and other backup question with VMware

2009-01-22 10:19:28
Subject: Re: [Networker] Licensing and other backup question with VMware
From: Stan Horwitz <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 10:15:45 -0500
> From: MIchael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
> Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 09:52:52 -0500
> To: <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU>
> Subject: [Networker] Licensing and other backup question with VMware
>
> I use a NW 7.4SP2 server; 2 tape libraries; about 9 storage nodes (using
> AFTD drives, not other tape devices); about 70 other clients. All Windows
> clients, in a MS AD environment.
>
> We'll be moving a good number of my clients (not the storage nodes) to
> VMs, using VMware ESX (6 VMware servers, in - I think - a VMware cluster;
> the cluster part is still being debated).
>
> I've used VMware before, but not ESX. Back then, I ran a VMware server,
> with 4-5 virtual machines, and each VM was configured as a BackupExec
> client. That is, I backed up each VM independently, but did not backup the
> VMware server as a whole (backing up the disk images that are the VMs).
> That way, I could do individual restores of specific VMs. I would also
> script a pause of the VM itself, and make a copy of the VM image, and then
> back that up. That way, I could restore either the entire VM at once, or
> restore an individual file within a VM, as needed.
>
> Is that still a good backup strategy, considering that I will now be using
> NW and ESX? If not, any pointers at a discussion on how to implement a
> backup strategy using NW and ESX?
>
> Another point - licensing. Does the client licensing change, now that most
> of my clients go from being physical to being virtual? (I'm guessing not,
> and that I'll still need 1 license per client, virtual or not)
>
> Do the ESX servers themselves need a special license, or software module?
> (I'm guessing yes)

Licensing for Vmware backups changed with NetWorker 7.4.3, so you might
consider upgrading your NetWorker server to that version or higher.
NetWorker 7.5 also provides more functionality for Vmware backups, if I
remember correctly (check the release notes). With 7.4.3 or later, you can
license each ESX server, then back up as many VMS as your ESX servers can
comfortably support for no extra charge (i.e., the VM's do not count as
individual client connections). You should definitely talk with whomever
provides your NetWorker licenses to see what licensing options best fit your
employer's needs.

How you do your VMware backups depends on your employer's policy. We could
never get away with pausing any of our ESX servers, not even for a brief
period of time, but your site might be different. I am not a Vmware expert
and we are just dabbling in it ourselves, but I am pretty sure you can
backup your ESX server live without pausing it. I am sure some other
subscribers on this list who have more experience in this area can comment
on your questions too.