Networker

[Networker] Licensing and other backup question with VMware

2009-01-22 09:55:47
Subject: [Networker] Licensing and other backup question with VMware
From: MIchael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 09:52:52 -0500
I use a NW 7.4SP2 server; 2 tape libraries; about 9 storage nodes (using
AFTD drives, not other tape devices); about 70 other clients. All Windows
clients, in a MS AD environment.

We'll be moving a good number of my clients (not the storage nodes) to
VMs, using VMware ESX (6 VMware servers, in - I think - a VMware cluster;
the cluster part is still being debated).

I've used VMware before, but not ESX. Back then, I ran a VMware server,
with 4-5 virtual machines, and each VM was configured as a BackupExec
client. That is, I backed up each VM independently, but did not backup the
VMware server as a whole (backing up the disk images that are the VMs).
That way, I could do individual restores of specific VMs. I would also
script a pause of the VM itself, and make a copy of the VM image, and then
back that up. That way, I could restore either the entire VM at once, or
restore an individual file within a VM, as needed.

Is that still a good backup strategy, considering that I will now be using
NW and ESX? If not, any pointers at a discussion on how to implement a
backup strategy using NW and ESX?

Another point - licensing. Does the client licensing change, now that most
of my clients go from being physical to being virtual? (I'm guessing not,
and that I'll still need 1 license per client, virtual or not)

Do the ESX servers themselves need a special license, or software module?
(I'm guessing yes)

Thanks for any clues, or experiences/horror stories.

--
Michael Leone
Network Administrator, ISM