Networker

Re: [Networker] Cannot Label Tapes / Networker 7.4 SP4

2009-01-22 08:30:21
Subject: Re: [Networker] Cannot Label Tapes / Networker 7.4 SP4
From: Matthew Huff <mhuff AT OX DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 08:28:48 -0500
A couple of things:

1) I hate scsi. Sometimes you have to sacrifice a chicken to make it work
reliably. Even if it's worked well for years. Make sure all your scsi cables
are seated correctly and tightened. I'd even disconnect and check all the pins,
and reconnect them. If you aren't using Granite Digital cables and terminators.
Go buy them. Now. http://www.granitedigital.com/scsiproducts.aspx. I missed
your earlier post, how is the scsi cabled? What are each steps in the link?

2) Always use the native driver, not the default windows one. I've been using
Adaptec HBAs since the late '80s and there are good and bad things about them,
however most tape library vendors recommend them as the default hba. Make sure
you are using the latest drivers.

3) If you are using LTO tape, download and install IBM's LTO tape driver. Read
the instructions and especially the readme.txt

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=543&context=STCVQ6R&dc=D430&uid=ssg1S4000189&loc=en_US&cs=utf-8&lang=en

4) I have seen the block size problem be a phantom error when the underlying
scsi system was having issues.