Networker

[Networker] Cannot Label Tapes / Networker 7.4 SP4

2009-01-21 16:59:06
Subject: [Networker] Cannot Label Tapes / Networker 7.4 SP4
From: sav2880 <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 15:57:48 -0500
I'm having a wealth of problems attempting to label tapes in Networker 7.4 sp4,
and need some help. Here's the info I can give you about my environment.

OS: Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard
Networker 7.4 SP4
Tape Drive: HP LTO-Ultrium 2 drive in jukebox
Jukebox: Overland PowerLoader LTO
SCSI Card: Adaptec SCSI Card 29320LPE Ultra320 SCSI

Whenever I try and put in a new tape now, it attempts to label the tape and
then pops up a message saying "moving backwards 2 files", and sits there for a
significant amount of time. With about three days worth of tweaking, I've
managed to get it to the point where it's at least mounting the tape and
appears to TRY to write a label to it. The log info I get now is shown at the
URL http://www.sav2880.net/pics/Networker-RewindTape-DriveReadyNotReally.png
for viewing.

This is all when using the NMC GUI. If I label a tape from the command line, it
appears to work (nsrjb -Lxx), but then when I stage a job to this same physical
tape, it will eventually fade off from a cyclic redundancy check.

Now, this would tend to lend itself to some sort of hardware issue, but I've
tried a pair of different Overland PowerLoader jukeboxes and a pair of tape
drives, even different SCSI cables and terminators. The only thing I have not
switched out is the SCSI card, so if that could help, please let me know.

Otherwise, it has to be a software setting or Networker thing, and I'm stumped.
This all worked up until about a week ago, and we did not have any environment
changes at that point.

Additionally, throughout this entire process, running the command "scanner -vv
\\.\Tape2" (symbolic name for our physical tape) brings up the following
message:

Cannot set \\.\Tape2 block size to 65536. Maximum size configure is 32768.
Please modify your SCSI configuration to allow transfers of at least 65536
(search for the MaximumSGList registry parameter)

EMC Legato support really keyed in on trying to fix this problem as the source
of my issues, BUT even when I tried to change these in the appropriate service,
which I believe is atec320u (spelling?), this error message never went away.

So with all that said ... HELP!