Networker

Re: [Networker] NDMP Schedling

2009-01-19 18:59:38
Subject: Re: [Networker] NDMP Schedling
From: A Darren Dunham <ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 23:57:02 +0000
On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 06:14:13PM -0500, Sid Martin wrote:
> "Level backups serve as checkpoints in schedules because they collect all
> the files that have changed over several days, or even weeks, into a single
> backup session."

Right.

> (a level 1 acts as an incremental as it records all changes every
> night. This provides 1) faster backup, 2) low load on server and 3)
> uses the least volume space. The issues are 1) slow recovery 2) data
> can be spread over several volumes (each level 1 since last full).

I'm not sure what you're saying about a level 1 acting as an
incremental.  A level 1 and an incremental are different.  In a normal
environment, consecutive level 1 jobs will require more volume space
than consecutive incrementals.  If you're trying to do 1 full backup a
month like the OP was asking, and you have some moderate file creation,
the difference by the end of the month can be very significant.

--
Darren