Networker

Re: [Networker] Backing up remote laptops

2009-01-07 10:49:36
Subject: Re: [Networker] Backing up remote laptops
From: Stan Horwitz <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2009 10:48:15 -0500
> From: MIchael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
> Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2009 10:44:39 -0500
> To: <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU>
> Subject: Re: [Networker] Backing up remote laptops
>
> We prohibit writing to devices on USB drives via the Sanctuary Device
> Control software, from Lumension. Reading is OK; we just don't want anyone
> being able to write to a USB drive, and abscond with data. This ties into
> MS Active Directory, so it goes by login ID.

Then how do you allow laptop users who are off-site to back up their data,
or do you also restrict what kinds of data can be kept on laptops? It seems
to me that if you are going to prevent writing to USB devices, then that
policy also makes sense for other portable storage devices, including
laptops, and external disk drives, at least without close scrutiny.