Networker

Re: [Networker] changing client name?

2009-01-06 15:13:57
Subject: Re: [Networker] changing client name?
From: Tim Mooney <Tim.Mooney AT NDSU DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2009 14:08:50 -0600
In regard to: [Networker] changing client name?, Sid Shapiro said (at...:

Hello,
Some of my clients have moved from one sub-domain to another. Is there a
way to change the name on the server (7.4.2) without losing the indexes
and data associated with the client, yet only have the new, correct fqdn
in place?

Yes, it's covered in a knowledgebase article (I don't have the article
handy).

The procedure is (roughly)

- make a note of the client id.  You will need to do

        View->Diagnostic Mode

in the NetWorker Administrator to see the client id (it's on Globals 1 of
2 tab) or use mminfo to get that info:

        mminfo -q client=your_client_name -r clientid

- delete the client using nsradmin or the GUI.  The client indexes will
  remain.

- at this point, we normally shut down the NetWorker server software,
  though I'm fairly certain that's not required.

- rename the client index directory to be the correct name, e.g.

        cd /nsr/index
        mv oldclient.yourdomain.com newclient.yourdomain.com

- start up NetWorker, if you were paranoid and shut the software down

- create the client using the new name BUT being certain to fill in
  the client ID from the old client.  You will likely have to do
  a View->Diagnostic Mode before you try create the client, to have
  the option of specifying the client id.

That should be it.

Tim
edu