Networker

Re: [Networker] Other back-up products besides NetWorker

2008-12-19 09:38:20
Subject: Re: [Networker] Other back-up products besides NetWorker
From: "Murphy, Brendan (DBO)" <Brendan.P.Murphy AT HP DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 14:35:52 +0000
I'm surprised such an innocent looking question generated such a heated
discussion. I seems clear there's a lot of grief out there that in the past
NetWorker has not received the R&D investment it deserves. Interesting as it
was, not much of it goes to answer the original question. ... is there a
similar but less costly product like NetWorker out there. To sum up the more
relevant responses it seems to me the following should be taken into account:

Investigate the likes of NetBackup, CommVault, HP DataProtector, IBM Tivoli
Storage Manager, as well as having a closer look at Open Source Software like
Amanda/Zmanda (although I personally feel that this product falls well short of
a comprehensive OS client & application support list).

      - what platform you wish to run the server on
      - what backup hardware you wish to use
      - what OSes are going to be backed up
      - what applications are going to be backed up
        - The level of customization available via scripting & the use of cli
toolsets
        - Ease of Backup Server Recovery
        - Purchase cost of product & various backup licenses
        - Cost of ongoing vendor support
        - Cost of maintaining long-term networker archives and/or migrating
archives to new backup product tape format
        - Skill/experience of local sys admin & cost/time to become familiar
with new backup product

Kind Regards,
Brendan Murphy,
HP Services Software Consultant | Tru64 ASE, ITIL, RHCE | Mob: +353 87 2361778
| Email : Brendan.P.Murphy AT hp DOT com
Postal Address: Hewlett-Packard Ireland Limited, Liffey Park Technology Campus,
Barnhall Road, Leixlip, County Kildare.
Registered Office: Hewlett-Packard Ireland Limited 63-74 Sir John Rogerson's
Quay, Dublin 2.   Registered Number: 34508
The contents of this message and any attachments to it are confidential and may
be legally privileged. If you have received this message in error, you should
delete it from your system immediately and advise the sender.   To any
recipient of this message within HP, unless otherwise stated you should
consider this message and attachments as "HP CONFIDENTIAL".