Networker

Re: [Networker] Other back-up products besides NetWorker

2008-12-18 05:16:18
Subject: Re: [Networker] Other back-up products besides NetWorker
From: Conrad Macina <conrad.macina AT PFIZER DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2008 05:14:46 -0500
This question comes up from time to time. I don't know anything about
DataProtector and Commvault, but you can search the list archives and you'll
find references.

NetBackup appears to be more complete than NetWorker. A lot of things that
are licensed separately in NetWorker are included "out of the box" in
NetBackup. For example, open file management and tape drive sharing. But the
impression I've received from other posts (again, search the archives) is
that for most users, NetBackup ends up being more expensive. I would imagine
that if you actually used all the features it might end up being competitive.

Conrad Macina
Pfizer, Inc.

On Thu, 18 Dec 2008 09:52:41 +0000, Murphy, Brendan (DBO)
<Brendan.P.Murphy AT HP DOT COM> wrote:

>DataProtector ... it's cheap, licensing isn't complicated & it does
everything Networker can. I suspect this is a key reason why EMC have been
attempting to simplify their licensing & adjust pricing.
>http://www.hp.com/go/dataprotector
>
>Veritas NetBackup .... Now owned by Symantec. Don't really know about
price, but again it does everything Networker does.
>http://www.symantec.com/business/netbackup
>
>CommVault Galaxy .. Again pricing & liecensing unknown but does the job
>http://www.commvault.com/
>

>Kind Regards,
>Brendan Murphy,
>HP Services Software Consultant | Tru64 ASE, ITIL, RHCE | Mob: +353 87
2361778 | Email : Brendan.P.Murphy AT hp DOT com
>Postal Address: Hewlett-Packard Ireland Limited, Liffey Park Technology
Campus, Barnhall Road, Leixlip, County Kildare.
>Registered Office: Hewlett-Packard Ireland Limited 63-74 Sir John
Rogerson's Quay, Dublin 2.   Registered Number: 34508
>The contents of this message and any attachments to it are confidential and
may be legally privileged. If you have received this message in error, you
should delete it from your system immediately and advise the sender.   To
any recipient of this message within HP, unless otherwise stated you should
consider this message and attachments as "HP CONFIDENTIAL".

Behalf Of tcassid AT kimball DOT com