Networker

Re: [Networker] tape drive : service mode

2008-12-17 18:49:33
Subject: Re: [Networker] tape drive : service mode
From: Ken Gehring <ken.gehring AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2008 16:47:10 -0700
I do agree with you to a point. We usually find that the drive or the
switch has had a bump. We set the max consecutive errors to a large
number, load/unload a tape and then reset it back to 20. Sometimes
we've found we need to power cycle the drive. Only once have we had to
replace a drive in 4 years. Just lucky I guess ;-)

Ken

On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 3:49 PM, Fazil Saiyed <Fazil.Saiyed AT anixter DOT com>
wrote:
> Hello,
> I agree, increasing drive error count to much higher values just masks the
> problems for bit longer, does nothing to solve it.
> You are either having hardware issues, including ( Scsi resets, cable
> errors, switch issues) or driver issues.
> Another possibility is of drive sequencing change, did you implement
> features such as persistent binding ?
> One easy way to test if your drive order is not right may be to mount all
> drive with any tapes via Library GUI ( hardware),then use legato cmd line
> to unmount one tape at a time, if you unmount say Tape0 and you see that
> Tape2 is unloaded then you know you have drive sequencing issue.
> Remember to resync the drive after such exercise via nsrjb -HEvvv and
> inventory the tape lib again & do this while there are no backups running.
> HTH

> this list. You can access the archives at

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little
temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
--Benjamin Franklin