Networker

Re: [Networker] Compress Savesets

2008-12-05 15:36:55
Subject: Re: [Networker] Compress Savesets
From: "Goslin, Paul" <pgoslin AT CINCOM DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2008 15:34:55 -0500
You really should include the original post you are replying to... It's
simply proper mailing-list etiquette...(sort of an un-written rule).
Doing otherwise makes your posts hard to follow because they are out of
context..

 Otherwise people have no idea what your answer or response refers to...

NO !!! It does not work that way in Networker.

> I am using LTO-3 400GB/800GB cartridges and most of the tapes
> are currently showing close to 700 GB under "used" tab in NMC
>
> I haven't applied compression directive to any of the clients yet.
>
> Is there any other way  to verify this ?

There is also hardware compression that is either enabled or disabled on
the tape drives themselves... Factory default I think is normally to
enable compression on the drive itself..

This is usually evidenced by the total amount of data you fit on a tape
before the end of the tape is reached... If you are getting close to 700
GB on a 400/800GB tape, I would say the tape drive is already using
compression to pack as much data per inch of tape as it can...