Networker

Re: [Networker] Compress Savesets

2008-12-05 15:07:36
Subject: Re: [Networker] Compress Savesets
From: "Goslin, Paul" <pgoslin AT CINCOM DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2008 15:05:18 -0500
Compression is a directive and does not apply to save-sets already on a
tape or other media...

A save-set is either written with compression or it is not ...

When a backup is performed with compression enabled, it is done on the
client side before the data is sent back to the server or storage
node...(puts more load on the client CPU, but saves space on storage
media). The directive is applied to an entire client and will affect all
save-sets of that client as long as the directive is in effect on the
client configuration ... A save-set cannot be altered/compressed once it
is on media ...