Networker

Re: [Networker] EDL, cloning and storage nodes

2008-12-05 00:46:17
Subject: Re: [Networker] EDL, cloning and storage nodes
From: Brendan Sandes <brendannetworker AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2008 15:42:38 +1000
Hi all.

cloning is via IP as fibre isn't possible.  We can however, get multiple
gig-E links trunked between sites (nice doing work for a telco).

Devices are virtual ultrium1 tapes on an EDL (EMC virtual tape library).

After further discussions with customer today (about an hour ago), we have
agreed that it doesn't matter if normal recoveries come from the clone host
as it will be in it's own VLAN on the backup network.

To further elaborate in case anyone is interested, just to pick one backup
site and the DR site.

The following
- The networker server and all storage nodes connect to the dedicated backup
network as their primary NIC
- The NetWorker server and all storage nodes connect to an administrative
network for things such as ssh, nmc, eba etc.
- The dedicated backup network is firewalled such that the only ports that
are open are 7937-7940 from any networker host to any networker host, the
extra required number of ports going all backup hosts to the storage nodes
(depending on devices and autochangers) and the required number of ports
going from all hosts to the server itself.
- backups at site 1 route via firewall & dedicated backup network to the
backup NIC in the host site1-SN01 (fibre connected to EDL)
- the host site1-SN03 which will be used for cloning is also connected to
the backup network.  This host will also be connected to a cross site VLAN
using another NIC/s which will have the hostname of site1-SN03-clone.  In
otherwords, all networker traffic will go via the interface site1-SN03

DR site
The DR site will have a host DRsite-SN03.  The NIC with this host name will
connect to the backup network as normal.  In addition to the backup NIC and
the administrative network nic, this host will have a 3rd NIC with the
hostname of DRsite-SN03-clone which is in the same cross site VLAN as
site1-SN03-clone.  This VLAN doesn't go through a firewall.

Now, to configure NetWorker.
-  In the client properties for site1-SN01, our clone storage node affinity
is set to DRsite-SN03-clone.   This configures NetWorker such that for any
backups that were written to site1-SN01, the clone destination will be
DRsite-SN03-clone.
-  I can set the read host name of the virtual library at site1 to the host
site1-SN03 which will ensure that any read operations (both recover and
recover half of a clone) are mounted on this storage node.

Because I have set the clone storage node affinity for site1_SN01 set to
DRsite-SN03-clone, normal TCP/IP routing will ensure that the clone traffic
should go via the teamed interface and bypass the firewall.  Normal
NetWorker control instructions will go via the NIC connected to the backup
network.

In the clone storage node attribute for the client properties of site1_SN01,
the clone storage node  attribute will be the host name of DR-SN03clone

Clear as mud ;-)  ?

I still have to confirm that there isn't a better way to do this with the
CISCO experts here, but it should work.

Cheers!
Brendan