Networker

[Networker] NetWorker Retention Policy Qs?

2008-12-01 18:45:14
Subject: [Networker] NetWorker Retention Policy Qs?
From: JGillTech <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2008 18:43:12 -0500
Hi Preston,

Sorry this thread got so long I missed a few posts when trying to catch up.  I
understand the use of clone-id and ssid, and how clone-id is -1 in a disk
backup situation.....  clone-id is based on nsavetime so the only way to
differentiate is by decrementing by -1 for the RO device.  All other cases
(staging, cloning, etc.) the clone-id will differ according to the nsavetime
value of when the operational occurred.  Hopefully I now understand this after
the numerous examples...  thanks!

Now back to the example and perhaps I can apply the logic from above.  The
save-set on the full backup volume has a retention of 11/02/09, and a clone-id
retention of 1/1/2009.  This clone-id retention is for a single instance, the
instance created during the normal full backup (2 months as specified by the
client resource).  The clone operation ran after the full backup completed,
extending the save-time retention on the original volume to 11/02/09.  This
happened because the second instance (2nd clone-id) had a retention of
11/02/09... thus the save-set as a whole now has a retention of 11/02/09.

Hopefully this is correct.  Now the problem:

How can I have a volume expiration based on a 2-month retention policy for my
full backup volume, and a volume retention for 1-year on my clone volumes.  If
I understand correctly... the save-set retention is going to be the longest of
any of the clone retentions.   I hoped to automatically expire media, and
recycle to other pools when needed.  If the clone retention for the 2nd
instance of the save-set is 1 year... the whole save-set won't expire...thus
the volume won't expire until the clone expires.