Networker

Re: [Networker] Making inactive clients not use licenses?

2008-11-26 06:18:51
Subject: Re: [Networker] Making inactive clients not use licenses?
From: Stan Horwitz <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 06:15:24 -0500
> From: tkimball <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
> Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 04:37:38 -0500
> To: <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU>
> Subject: [Networker] Making inactive clients not use licenses?
>
> We have a number of clients that had their backup cut over 'cold' to new
> systems, which is tying up an annoying number of client license slots.  The
> 'old' clients have no groups defined, and will never have another backup
> running off them (the software was uninstalled, or in some cases the old
> server no longer exists).
>
> Is there any (safe!) way to get these old clients to *stop* using client
> licenses?  I have no issue with it using a license again if (for some wild
> reason) the backup restarts on any of them.  We need to keep the old backups
> for an 'unknown period of time' due to various reasons.

What's do you mean by "safe?" If the retention period for those clients is
reasonably short, you'll get back each client's license slot when the last
of its backups expires from the client file index. If you can't wait for the
retention period to pass, then manually delete the client file index data
using nsrmm. That approach is what I consider safe, but realize that if you
need to recover any data from those expired clients, you'll need to scan in
the back up media first, which can be very time-consuming.