Networker

[Networker] NetWorker Retention Policy Qs?

2008-11-25 09:36:40
Subject: [Networker] NetWorker Retention Policy Qs?
From: JGillTech <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 09:33:30 -0500
I have a couple different media pools within NetWorker to orgranize my tapes.
I have a full backup that runs weekly to the full backup pool, every other week
a clone is created to the clone pool.  The retention policy on the clone pool
is 1 year, which is stored offsite.  The clients have a retention policy of 2
months, with no policy specified on the full backup pool.

I expected the volumes within the full media pool to expire 2 months after the
last write before the volume was marked full.  However, NetWorker indicates 1
year after the last write before expiration?  Same expiration as the offsite
volumes in the clone pool.

My thoughts were a separate retention period for the clone media pool would
allow me to expire the full pool (never taken offsite) on a 2 month basis.
Thus giving me two months of nearline backup.

I am new to the system... where am I going wrong?