Networker

[Networker] An interesting article about NetWorker 7.5

2008-11-24 18:13:58
Subject: [Networker] An interesting article about NetWorker 7.5
From: brerrabbit <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 18:11:03 -0500
enchanter wrote:
> In regard to: Re: [Networker] An interesting article about NetWorker 7.5,...:
>

> > enchanter wrote:
> >

> > > I'm intrigued by the virtualization licensing changes.
> > >

> > The documentation is awful, but virtual guest licensing actually changed
> > in 7.4.3. Simply drop the owning vmware, xen, hyper-v, virtual iron,
> > etc. host into the "physical host" attribute and you free up a license.
> >

> Thanks for the great info Rich!  We're still running 7.4.2 since my sense
> from the list is that 7.4.3 isn't quite as stable, but this gives us a
> compelling reason to consider upgrading.
>
> Tim

I asked our TC about this today, specifically the licensing for the
host....essentially you can get a license for the host and backup all the
guests that run on top of it, regardless of the number.  Evidently the
break-even is about 5 virtual machines, i.e. if you have more than 5 virtual
machines the host license is more cost effective, if you have 4 or less, then
the individual licenses are cheaper overall.

HTH
--brerrabbit