Networker

[Networker] Scanning w/a Library

2008-11-21 18:21:16
Subject: [Networker] Scanning w/a Library
From: dwojcik <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2008 15:16:12 -0500
Good afternoon;

I am returning to Networker after a long abscence... I am trying to figure out
the "right" way to deal with scanning...Here is what I have...

Several files have been deleted, and we neet to get at some data. Great. That
is what the software is for.  But, save sets have expired, and the files
involved are not browsable.  Okay- we can deal with this.  We can scan the
tapes manually, and things are looking good, except for having to scan,
re-scan, and then re-scan in tape order.  Others have complained about this,
and I agree, but that is not what I am being frustrated by...

I dislike the exceedingly manual process... having to use any number of work
arounds to deal with the fact that "scanning" is an individual tape-oriented
process, in  a system designed with a library-centric perspective

My tapes are labeled, and have barcodes. My library has scanners.  Networker
understands barcodes, so why am I having to manually move tapes around, and
subject them to the "nsrjb -I -Sxxxx" command?,  And is anyone else having
problems with it labeling the tape with number that is 1) incorrect, and 2) a
duplicate ? So that now I can't trust the library to load the correct tapes...

Arg.

What is the right way to scan tapes with a Library, instead of against the
library?  Am I explaining my self well enough here or not?

Thanks,

Douglas