Networker

[Networker] Skipped and opened files on Networker

2008-11-20 12:43:07
Subject: [Networker] Skipped and opened files on Networker
From: colin brealey <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 11:58:21 -0500
Hi

First time user of the site and not very knowledgeable at all on Legato at all.
I have used ARCserve mainly for day to day file restores but have been dropped
in the deep end and asked to do some research on Legato on some specific
requirements.

On a basic level I have to research the following capability:-

Backup data from networked servers to a disk based tape library with 256bit
encryption.

Copy backup to to disk folders and them import using a different backup server
also running Legato Networker and restore data.

Continue with incremental backups until no space remains on NAS drive, at this
point virtual tapes will be erased and a fresh copy taken.

Main concerns are:-

The data must be backup using a disk based backup as a virtual tape device and
must be encrypted using 256bit encryption.

The backup job must also include a verification task.

Skipped/open files must be logged an re-captured

The last concern is my main one at the moment as it appears Legato skips locked
files. The files in question are data files, was wondering if anyone has had
experience of this.

Apologies if this post is a bit vague....