Networker

Re: [Networker] de-duplication

2008-11-05 02:27:14
Subject: Re: [Networker] de-duplication
From: Siobhán Ellis <siobhanellis AT HOTMAIL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2008 18:23:36 +1100
wow, proprietary change sto code that is subject to a law suit between Sun and
NetApp!

The problem with Advanced File Type devices is the file system fragmentation
you suffer. That reduces performance as it is, without the de-dupe being thrown
in. You should look at what the implications of that is.Siobhán> Date: Wed, 5
Nov 2008 00:42:55 -0500> From: networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
Subject: [Networker] de-duplication> To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU>
> siobhanellis wrote:> > > > de-duplication at target, if you are using
NetWorker, will pretty much fall into using EDL (EMC Disk Libraries). Now they
have OEM'd Quantum's VTL software they have de-dupe on there. However, at the
moment, they do not have the storage node capability for NetWorker, ironically
only NetBackup.> > > > > It may also be possible to use something like the
Cypress (GreenBytes) NAS and use its internal de-dup/compress for adv_file
devices (over iSCSI). Networker wouldn't know, or care.> >
http://green-bytes.com/cypress.html> > We're trying to get one here in order to
test that theory, since it *may* be able to replace the two *racks* of
StorageTek Flex disk we use for adv_file today (we have a Tier 4 DBO).> > Of
course, the sales folks got real silent when I mentioned using it in
environments with pre-compressed data (our Sybase dumps, which is about 20 TB
currently - about half the 'real' disk space of the Thumper chassis that
Cypress uses). I wanted to know how their de-dup extensions to ZFS would work
out here, since it was a proprietary change to the code.> > --TSK> >
was sent by t.s.kimball AT gmail DOT com via Backup Central.> |Forward SPAM to
abuse AT backupcentral DOT com.>
sign off this list, send email to listserv AT listserv.temple DOT edu and type
AT listserv.temple DOT edu if you have any problems with this list. You can
access the archives at http://listserv.temple.edu/archives/networker.html or>
Take a summer road trip with Windows Live Hotmail. Multiple prizes and the
ultimate dream beach house!
http://www.ninemsn.com.au/hotmailroadtrip