Networker

[Networker] Experiences on v7.4.3

2008-11-04 08:38:49
Subject: [Networker] Experiences on v7.4.3
From: "Clark, Patti" <clarkp AT OSTI DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2008 08:34:56 -0500
We've been running Networker 7.4.3 for about 5 weeks now.  There have
been a number of "new" oddities that I've been having over previous
versions.  A few have been noted on this list, but I have some more that
haven't appeared as of yet.  I'm hoping that someone may have found
solutions or can point to something I've overlooked in the various docs.

Platform: Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 ES server - attached SCSI Quantum
M2500 library with LTO-2 drives
Clients: heterogenous assortment of RHEL, SUN, Windows, and 1 OSX
xserver
Previous version: 7.3.3 across the board - client upgrades in progress

1.  Generally the upgrade went very well.  As already noted, the NMC
database was unusable and had to be recreated from scratch.  No real
issue for us, just annoying.
2.  UDP port 7938 needs to be opened in any firewalls going to the
clients.  This is buried in the docs.
3.  Continual notifications for LSSV registration.  A patch is required,
I'm waiting for the Linux patch to be created.  One exists for Solaris.
4.  The software push capability to clients has issues in spite of
v7.3.x being a valid version.  After importing the software into the
repository which is very easy for any Linux/UNIX installations given the
Linux server, discovering contents on clients, and selecting a set to
receive their updates I found that while most were indeed updated, their
networker services were not restarted.  The logs are created on the
clients in their /tmp directories which do contain errors.  I've not had
time to examine their details, yet.  As of today, I've not been
successful at importing the Windows packages into the repository.  I
figure that it's something that I'm doing that isn't matching quite
right and need to work on.  The software push is VERY slow.  Perhaps
it's an illusion since you don't get a lot of information when it's
happening and it appears to be done completely serially.  Also, if there
are dependencies not being met, you have to dig into the clients anyway.
My 64-bit clients needed a c++ compatible library that wasn't necessary
on the previous verion of networker.
5.  I've manually upgraded some of my Windows clients, both x86 and
x86_64.  I am now receiving notices regarding inactive files exceeding
thresholds.  While the clients themselves default to a zero setting
indicating a non-report, the groups do not.  They default to 30 percent.
6.  And finally, yes, I've had one instance so far of a save group
hanging and not completing.  It required a manual stop of the running
group.  The next run performed normally.  Out of everything so far, this
is the one that gives me the most concern.

Patti Clark
Sr. Unix System Administrator - RHCT, GSEC
Office of Scientific and Technical Information