Networker

Re: [Networker] de-duplication

2008-11-03 18:29:28
Subject: Re: [Networker] de-duplication
From: Siobhán Ellis <siobhanellis AT HOTMAIL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2008 10:21:30 +1100
depend son if youare talking about de-duplication at target or de-duplication
at source.

de-duplication at target, if you are using NetWorker, will pretty much fall
into using EDL (EMC Disk Libraries). Now they have OEM'd Quantum's VTL software
they have de-dupe on there. However, at the moment, they do not have the
storage node capability for NetWorker, ironically only NetBackup.

de-dupe at source you'll need to upgrade to a minimum of 7.4.1 (Personally, I'd
go 7.4.3). From 7.4.1 a part of avamar is built in to NetWorker. It's actually
avtar, which is the avamar equivalent of save. It sends the data to an Avamar
Data Store instead of a normal storage node. There are plenty of papers that
talk about how avamar actually works, so wont go into that. As far as the
integration with Networker goes, you need to set up a client, and mark it as a
de-dupe client and where it's going to go. If you are going through a firewall
you also have to open port 27000, or 29000, to get to the DataStore.

I've had a solution running it that has been going for about 2 months now. We
see about 50:1 compression on an active mySQL database, and about 250:1 on file
and print servers.

Achilles heel? Tape out. Basically, if you want long term storage you have to
take a periodic NetWorker backup.Siobhán> Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2008 16:20:58 -0500>
From: networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM> Subject: [Networker]
de-duplication> To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU> > Hello,> Can
somebody give me a brief run down on how de-duplication actually works and what
software you'd need?> We have networker 7.3.2 on Solaris 9.> Thanks> >
was sent by h.jenkinson AT manchester.gov DOT uk via Backup Central.> |Forward
SPAM to abuse AT backupcentral DOT com.>
sign off this list, send email to listserv AT listserv.temple DOT edu and type
AT listserv.temple DOT edu if you have any problems with this list. You can
access the archives at http://listserv.temple.edu/archives/networker.html or>
Take a summer road trip with Windows Live Hotmail. Multiple prizes and the
ultimate dream beach house!
http://www.ninemsn.com.au/hotmailroadtrip