Networker

[Networker] NFSv4 client backup errors

2008-10-30 11:11:43
Subject: [Networker] NFSv4 client backup errors
From: Francis Swasey <Frank.Swasey AT UVM DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2008 11:07:56 -0400
I have an interesting situation with an AIX 5.3 LT8 SP3 system running the NFSv4 client. I have installed NetWorker 7.4sp3 client code on it (I had this problem with 7.3sp3 and upgraded in hopes of fixing it).

The problem is that (in case you don't know about NFSv4) -- you don't mount the individual filesystems anymore, you mount the exported root from the NFS server. So, our /etc/filesystems says that /fs/fileserver is an NFS mount from fileserver.uvm.edu of dev "/".

The problem is that depending on the phase of the moon, or perhaps how many spicy foods I've eaten in a day, the nightly backup will fail on one or more of the /fs/fileserver/<exported directory> systems with errors such as:

* client.uvm.edu:/fs/fileserver 4 retries attempted
* client.uvm.edu:/fs/fileserver 66135:save: NSR directive file (/fs/.nsr) parsed
* client.uvm.edu:/fs/fileserver 32252:save: cannot open /fs/fileserver/.nsr:
The file access permissions do not allow the specified action.
* client.uvm.edu:/fs/fileserver 66135:save: NSR directive file (/fs/.nsr) parsed
 client.uvm.edu: /fs/fileserver     level=incr,      3 KB 00:00:01      4 files
    * <ERROR> :  cannot stat /fs/fileserver/export1: The file access
permissions do not allow the specified action.
    * <ERROR> :  cannot stat /fs/fileserver/export2: The file access
permissions do not allow the specified action.
    * <ERROR> :  cannot stat /fs/fileserver/export3: The file access
permissions do not allow the specified action.
The contents of the /fs/.nsr file are:

skip: *

Anyone else backup up NFSv4 clients? Are you seeing any errors? Are you using the IBM AIX client code?

Thanks,