Networker

Re: [Networker] Move tapes offsite & autochanger

2008-10-14 19:11:40
Subject: Re: [Networker] Move tapes offsite & autochanger
From: Peter Viertel <Peter.Viertel AT MACQUARIE DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2008 10:04:42 +1100
If you've upgraded from 7.2 to 7.3  I believe you need to delete and
re-add your jukebox resource to get all the new attribute flags set
correctly.

It may be a bit of voodoo but I'm pretty sure I didn't see the automatic
online/offline detection happen on some of my libraries til I did that -
this is highly dependant on what versions were involved in the upgrade
of course, and your library has to provide some sort of indication that
it's state has changed - but I have seen it work consistently on 7.3.4
with storagetek SL24 and SL500, and quantum i500 libraries.

Also - even if your library is one that doesn't go offline and therefore
networker automatically updates the inventory when you open the front
door you can use the fast inventory feature of 7.3 -   'nsrjb -II'
this only looks at the barcodes, and updates the inventory/location
field for any tape in the media database and assumes any unknown
barcodes are blank tapes, -II never results in any attempts to read tape
labels so its always quick. Contrast this with just -I which will try
reading all the unknown barcodes to see if they have a label, and is
therefore dependant on how many blank/foreign tapes you have in the
library, and then there's -IE which is supposed to make it check every
single tape by reading their labels (although sometimes I observe that
this doesn't happen).

NOTICE
This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and may contain copyright
material of Macquarie Group Limited or third parties. If you are not the
intended recipient of this email you should not read, print, re-transmit, store
or act in reliance on this e-mail or any attachments, and should destroy all
copies of them. Macquarie Group Limited does not guarantee the integrity of any
emails or any attached files. The views or opinions expressed are the author's
own and may not reflect the views or opinions of Macquarie Group Limited.