Networker

Re: [Networker] NDMP Backups taking up hard drive space

2008-10-13 09:46:50
Subject: Re: [Networker] NDMP Backups taking up hard drive space
From: Terry Lemons <lemons_terry AT EMC DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2008 09:44:06 -0400
Hi

I haven't used NetWorker with NDMP for many years but, years ago, I
believe NetWorker received the metadata describing the files being
backed up from the NDMP server in the NAS device, and kept this metadata
in temporary files on disk on the NetWorker server until the completion
of the backup.  Then, these files were processed, and used to update the
client file index for the NAS device.  Then, these temporary files were
deleted.  The amount of temporary disk space consumed was proportional
not to the SIZE of the data being backed up, but to the NUMBER OF FILES
being backed up.  But, again, this knowledge is years old, and applied
to NetWorker V6.

Hope this helps!
tl