Networker

Re: [Networker] Help with OSX client

2008-10-07 21:55:03
Subject: Re: [Networker] Help with OSX client
From: Rachel Polanskis <r.polanskis AT uws.edu DOT au>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2008 12:50:55 +1100
On Wed, 8 Oct 2008, Rachel Polanskis wrote:

On Mon, 6 Oct 2008, Rachel Polanskis wrote:

Hi,
I installed the Networker Client for OSX 7.4.2 a few weeks ago and it was working fine.

Now it fails with no logging of the errors but seems not to be able to connect/probe from the legato server.

Quoting my own post is bad, but I have had not one reply. I guess no one uses Macs and Legato Networker here.

Now I will break all rules and conventions, by quoting myself once again!

But now I have a lead on the mystery.

As mentioned, I stopped & restarted the nsrexecd, using the Networker Startup Item on OSX.

If I stay logged in and start a backup - it works fine and Legato does my bidding.

If I start the Networker service and immediately logout, the backup fails.
When I login and check, nsrexecd is apparently still running, but refuses
connections.

So the problem is somehow related to the process having a requirement to start up at boot time, a theory I will test when I can get an outage on the system. I will reboot and see if the nsrexecd then runs, detached from the user environment. This is quite unlike Solaris or Linux, which will start a process and the daemon will run, regardless
of the user being logged in or not.

So I do not know if my ramblings here are of any use or not, but somehow,
somewhere in the future, someone may encounter a similar issue on OSX and this might help.

rachel

In any case, I made minor progress. I edited the /nsr/res/servers file and checked I had the nsrserverhost had an FQDN entry and subsequently upon adding the hostname only, backups proceeded to work. Once.

On the night of the scheduled backup it failed again.

I logged onto the system and ensured nsrexecd was running, which it was.
Upon stopping the service and restarting it, I have been able to run another backup. So now I have a problem that appears to have no other solution except I will have to add a cron entry to stop/restart nsrexecd prior to a backup. Not what I call an elegant, reliable solution.

I do not know of any other instance of this occuring.

If anyone else is running Intel Macs with Legato, I would be interested to hear of your experiences/advice/etc.......

rachel

I have the Legato server in the /nsr/res/servers file on the OSX client.

If I run a save on the OSX system (10.5 intel server) it will successfully do a save to the legato server.

But if I run it from the Networker server, as a savegrp it fails:

# savegrp -vvvv -l full osx-weekly & [1] 24240
nsrserver:tmp 136# 32451:savegrp: osxbox:/ level=full
32451:savegrp: osxbox:/Library/WebServer/Documents level=full
32451:savegrp: osxbox:/Applications/Lasso Professional 8 level=full
32451:savegrp: osxbox:/var/log                   level=full
7235:savegrp: Group will run up to 4 jobs in parallel
32493:savegrp: osxbox:probe                          started
savefs -s nsrserver -c osxbox -g lectopia-weekly -p -l full -R -v -F / /Library/WebServer/Documents "/Applications/Lasso Professional 8" /var/log 40473:savegrp: command ' savefs -s nsrserver -c osxbox -g osx-weekly -p -l full -R -v -F / /Library/WebServer/Documents "/Applications/Lasso Professional 8" /var/log' for client osxbox exited with return code 1.
7340:savegrp: osxbox:probe unexpectedly exited.
7338:savegrp: osxbox:probe will retry 1 more time(s)

The logfile for /nsr/tmp/sg/osx-weekly/ is empty.

If I do an rpcinfo -p <osx_servername> the rpc lookup fails:

# rpcinfo -p osx-servername
rpcinfo: can't contact portmapper: RPC: Rpcbind failure - RPC: Failed (unspecified error)

I do not know how to start rpcbind/portmap on OSX.  Info abouth this would
be useful.

nsrexecd is running on the OSX box:

root# ps -ef |grep nsr
   0 43445     1   0   0:00.06 ??         0:00.24 /usr/sbin/nsrexecd

Is this a firewall problem? I do not know a lot about ipfw, but if there is a command line option I can run, I can do it.
I do not have access to the GUI.

Can anyone please assist?

Thanks
rachel

--
Rachel Polanskis                Systems Admin, University of Western Sydney
ADD Werrington North Campus     (+61 2) 9678 7291  <r.polanskis AT uws.edu DOT