Networker

Re: [Networker] ALL Clients suddenly started failing

2008-10-06 10:51:20
Subject: Re: [Networker] ALL Clients suddenly started failing
From: MIchael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2008 10:47:26 -0400
EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU> wrote on
10/06/2008 10:22:41 AM:

> While I agree that maintaining a client host file is a PITA.... It's
> not that much effort in my experience... And worth it in the long
> run. Unless you have a very dynamic network with backup clients
> constantly being added / removed....
>
> I feel it's more practical than naïve... I now have a weekend of
> failed backups due to failed DNS lookups... I have no control over
> the DNS server...  As long as the client is up and responding on the
> proper ports, Networker should simply back it up.... What does it
> matter if the reverse lookup fails, and how is that more significant
> than backing up your companies' data ???

Well, that is a slightly different issue (requiring that reverse DNS must
also be working). Yes, it's best if both forward and reverse lookup work,
but the backup should be able to go on, if reverse lookup fails. IMO. Log
a warning, perhaps, but not fail.

Some mail servers work that way, too - won't accept mail unless forward
and reverse DNS lookups both pass. It, too, can lead to problems.