Networker

[Networker] General NetWorker Admin Questions for the New Guy

2008-10-03 11:30:45
Subject: [Networker] General NetWorker Admin Questions for the New Guy
From: brerrabbit <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2008 11:26:30 -0400
I'll follow DW's example and intersperse comments

JGillTech wrote:
> I am new to NetWorker administration and have collected a list of questions
> that I don't have answers to after reviewing NetWorker documentation.  The
> documentation was either not clear or not present at all in regard to the
> following inquiries:
>

> 3.  What is the best method to remove cloned volumes for offsite storage?
> What I say remove, extract from my tape library.  Do I need to change the
> mode within NetWorker administration?

We use a scheduled batch job (our NW server is v7.3.3 running on Win 2003) that
ejects full tapes written to in the last week and sets the location field in
the media database to our offsite facility.

> 4.  In regard to the cloning process.  My backup strategy involves
> incremental backups Sun-Friday and full backups Sat.  The last Saturday in
> the month, I want to perform a clone (with different retention policies) of a
> full backup and store off site.  How can this be scheduled or configured
> within NetWorker?  If there is a better strategy, please feel free to
> comment.  I have 20 clients with 2 LTO3 drives in a 38-port tape library.

Again we use a scheduled batch job for our cloning operations.  In your case I
think you could achieve what you're aim for by creating a separate media pool
for your last Saturday clones and setting the retention policy on the pool.

> 6.  What is the best NetWorker server configuration for dual NICS?  Smart
> Load Balancing, Link Aggregation, Failover? I have the broadcom NICS from
> Dell that have TOE support... However, I rebuilt my NW server on Windows
> 2008, which does not have support for TOE yet.  I have 2 LTO3 drives that are
> on an Ultra SCSI320 bus.... not sure what the max speed is off the top of my
> head.

"Best" is subjective.  What problem are you trying to solve, throughput or
failover?  How much backup traffic are you handling?  Failover **may** be the
simpler option, is the extra throughput worth and extra administrative
overhead?

> 8.  In regard to open files.  I know that VSS is now standard on Windows
> 2003, 2008, and Vista.  What about Windows XP?  What do you recommend for an
> Open File Manager?  Does Windows Change Journal Manager take care of this?

I won't attempt to answer this directly because we don't use this
functionality, but there was a good discussion of this, i.e. the various
flavors of VSS, on the board about two months ago....ish....?

Hope that helps!
-brerrabbit