Networker

[Networker] How to set up for Vmware master server backups

2008-10-03 11:23:58
Subject: [Networker] How to set up for Vmware master server backups
From: Stan Horwitz <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2008 11:19:13 -0400
Greetings everyone:

A colleague who has a Vmware ESX server and I are trying to figure out how
to back it up and the VMs it hosts (and their storage out on our SAN). I
have been searching PowerLink for help, this list's web site, and Vmware's
web site, but I don't see anything that actually tells me how to do this.

The closest I can find is page 77 on the NetWorker Administrator's Guide. I
am using NetWorker 7.4.1 on Solaris 10 to backup a Vmware server that's
hosted on a Windows 2003 box.

On page 77, it references a VMware proxy server, but there is no explanation
as to what that is. Could someone please explain? I am assuming its my
NetWorker server, but maybe not.

I am also confused as to what I put into the saveset field? I have tried
numerous strings, but nothing works. My colleague who set up this Vmware
server also installed the Consolidated Backup framework on it, and it seems
to bring with it the NetWorker Remote Service, which is running. Do I also
need to install the NetWorker base client?

When I try doing a backup, I get something like the following save group
report:

NetWorker savegroup: (alert) test7 completed, Total 1 client(s), 1 Failed.
Please see group completion details for more information.

Failed: vmanage2.temple

Start time:   Fri Oct  3 11:05:04 2008
End time:     Fri Oct  3 11:05:05 2008

--- Unsuccessful Save Sets ---

* vmanage2.temple:c\:*ALLVMFS* 1 retry attempted
* vmanage2.temple:c\:*ALLVMFS* save_vcb.bat: Command not found
See the file /nsr/tmp/sg/test7/sso.vmanage2.temple.MraivL for details. This
file may be removed after Fri Oct 10 11:05:04 2008.

I put in that save_vcb.bat command in the applications field and I even put
in a path to  it in the executable path field, but I still get the same
results.

What am I doing wrong? Is there actually any documentation that has some
specific examples of how to set this up? If so, where can I download it
from?