Networker

Re: [Networker] Wild cards in Save Set

2008-10-02 18:15:09
Subject: Re: [Networker] Wild cards in Save Set
From: A Darren Dunham <ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2008 22:13:06 +0000
On Fri, Oct 03, 2008 at 07:57:37AM +1000, Preston de Guise wrote:
> Perhaps some carefully setup directives to skip files not matching *2008
> would be the best approach in this case; obviously that means knowing all
> the other possible ways in which a file may end, but since you're talking
> *2008, I assume you'd be wanting to skip those files that end in say,
> *2007, *2006, etc.

Okay, I don't think I'd do this in production (at least I hope not), but
here's a bit of a hack way that this could be accomplished.

Change the "save" command in your client to point to a script of yours.
In that script, see if the server is attempting to launch a backup of a
particular filesystem, and if that filesystem is one that you don't
want.  If so, just return 0.  Otherwise, pass all the arguments off to
the real "save" program and let it launch the backup.

Problems:
Doing it this way might clutter up your savegroup report with all those
other filesystems you don't want.  They won't be backed up, but it'll
still try.  To get around that, you'd have to intercept the information
that 'save' creates when you ask it to back up 'all' (which is to report
back the local filesystems).  If you intercepted that, you could keep it
from scheduling the backup of those filesystems in the first place.

--
Darren