Networker

Re: [Networker] Backing up a large Exchange 2007 server

2008-10-01 12:31:17
Subject: Re: [Networker] Backing up a large Exchange 2007 server
From: Stan Horwitz <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2008 12:27:05 -0400
Matthew Huff On 10/1/08 11:21 AM, "Matthew Huff" <mhuff AT OX DOT COM> wrote:

> We use EMC EmailExtender and EmailXaminer because NASD regulations require us
> to archive all email and IM for 3 years. Otherwise, we would keep as little as
> possible.

One of our biggest problems with the option of using EmailExtender is its
price. It is prohibitively expensive for us.

I am now responding to Bruce Briedall. You make a good point. As it happens,
I have already met with our legal counsel. Although I couldn't disagree more
with them, their retention requirement makes my life a lot easier.

They say that I should do whatever I want for backup retention as long as I
am consistent with following the policy and I keep them abreast of any
changes. On our current Exchange server, which only hosts 1,000 accounts
(all executive office and other administrators), I keep the backups for
three months and we have no mechanism at all for archiving. The main concern
our legal counsel has is that whatever we do, we let them know so they know
what the current policy is. I don't expect to ever expand our three month
retention for backups.

Archiving will be not for legal compliance, but entirely to make sure that
old emails that are rarely touched get stored on less expensive storage and
are not included in repeated full backups. For us, archiving is intended
only to reduce our need to do backups of old email.

I suppose since we are an educational institute, our legal requirement for
email discovery are a lot less demanding then in private industry.