Networker

Re: [Networker] NetWorker Client Woes

2008-09-30 18:10:14
Subject: Re: [Networker] NetWorker Client Woes
From: Tim Mooney <Tim.Mooney AT NDSU DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2008 17:06:18 -0500
In regard to: [Networker] NetWorker Client Woes, JGillTech said (at 5:19pm...:

Do I need to expose the built-in portmapper server as well as the
lgtomapper?

I don't know what you're talking about.  On our Linux clients, there is
no lgtomapper.

We run the portmapper on our Linux clients.  We also run nsrexecd.  We do
allow access to both the portmapper and the nsrexecd ports from the
NetWorker server.

Note that at least in Fedora 9, the Linux portmapper has been replaced by
rpcbind (init is gone in Fedora 9 too, which seems like a pretty radical
change, but that's another topic...).  We haven't had much luck with the
one Fedora 9 client we've experimented with, but I don't know if that's
related to rpcbind or something else completely.  You might want to find
out the pedigree of the RPC mediator Ubuntu uses -- I'm guessing it's
the traditional portmapper, but perhaps they've switched to rpcbind too?

Tim
edu