Networker

Re: [Networker] upgrade from 7.3.2 to 7.4

2008-09-30 13:36:59
Subject: Re: [Networker] upgrade from 7.3.2 to 7.4
From: Kevin Malone <kcmalone AT SALISBURY DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2008 13:34:20 -0400
HAHA...that is so funny, because I felt the same way about the 7.2.2 to 7.4.2
upgrade. It went a lot smoother than I expected.   If you are on 7.3.x, the
major changes have already taken place with any 7.3.x version, so converting to
7.4.x shouldn't be a big deal.

Having said that, there are 2 documents you want to read through before you
convert:

Technical Guidance for Upgrades to Networker 7.4.x
Networker 7.4.x Installation Guide

Also, you will need the Administration Guide for 7.4.x, and it wouldnt hurt to
have the Error Message Guide.

All these are available from Powerlink. The Technical Guidance was a big help.
One thing I highly recommend for piece of mind is...make a copy of your NSR
directory wherever your Networker server install is now just before the
upgrade.  In case something were to go bad, you could simply replace that
directory back and re-install your 7.3.2 and you should be back at square one
with your job still in tact.

Hope that helps.

Kevin

>>> mallard20 <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM> 9/30/2008 1:08 PM >>>
My system admin wants me to upgrade our Networker to the latest version and I
won't BS anyone. I am scared to death to do it.  Is there anyone out there
willing to help or point me in the right direction so that I am not eventually
told to get a box and clean out my desk.