Networker

Re: [Networker] Renumbered network addresses

2008-09-25 15:33:33
Subject: Re: [Networker] Renumbered network addresses
From: Tim Mooney <Tim.Mooney AT NDSU DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 14:28:29 -0500
In regard to: Re: [Networker] Renumbered network addresses, Clark, Patti...:

<Sigh> That's what I thought.  The real issue seems to be the server
can't find itself.  It's complaining that it can't find the old address
which has been completely removed from DNS and /etc/hosts.  I am also
getting the same from NMC.

That has me wondering if maybe I'm incorrect -- maybe you *do* need to
do something on the NetWorker server.

both RH and Windows.  I use FQDN throughout the Networker configs.
Version is 7.3.3.  We use DNS, but my configs use files first, then DNS.

Same for us.

One thing you might want to check on is the hostid.  On at least RHEL,
the hostid is just the hex representation of the four octets of the IP
address.

Since your IP address changed, your Linux hostid changed.  That shouldn't
impact the clients, but it might impact the server.

You indicate that it's complaining that it can't find the old address.
Where are the complaints showing up, and are they in response to something
(like running a savegrp) or are they just spontaneous messages in some
log file?  What's the exact message?

Are you running nscd or a caching nameserver on the NetWorker server?  Is
there any possibility that it's cached the old IP and hasn't yet expired
it from the cache?

Tim
edu