Networker

[Networker] Linux to Solaris Networker Server Migration

2008-09-25 14:18:58
Subject: [Networker] Linux to Solaris Networker Server Migration
From: tomasperez696 <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 13:01:10 -0400
Hello,
I am working on a linux to solaris 10 migration for Legato networker.
Essentially what I am wanting to do is move the indexes, media database, and
res directory over to the solaris server along with the gst database.

Source server:
Debian Linux
IBM Server with 400 Gigs of Internal drives
4 AX150 EMC chassis with 18 TB of useable space
Networker 7.3.1

New Sun server:
Sun coolthreads 5220 server with 16 gigs of memory and 650 Gigs of usable
internal hd space (will be used for indexes)
1 AX4 with 60 TB of space (not usable, will be a bit less once I get the zfs
pools setup)
1 Scalar 50 with 2 LTO-4 Drives

The DR solution will be the same as this Sun setup, except it will not have the
AX4

Right now I am testing this migration on a Solaris 10 and Solaris 9 box without
much luck.

Steps taken thus far:
1. Moved bootstrap from production Linux server to Solaris servers
2. Moved indexes over to Solaris servers (currently about 360 Gigs)
3. I moved over the gst database

I installed Networker Client, server, storage node, and NMC on the Solaris
servers (version 7.3.1 sp4)
I could not find the 7.3.1 version on EMC's website, so the difference in
software is Linux is running 7.3.1 and Solaris is running 7.3.1 SP4.

I can't get the gst database to pick up, it refuses to let me login.   So I use
the default database that is provided, and login with
administrator/administrator.
Once I am in the java network management console, I can see the groups under
monitoring.
Under configuration, I can see the groups, and clients, and can browse quite a
bit.  Everything is good except for under local hosts, I get an error stating:
"unknown host".
The devices tab shows all the devices from the old server, I am not really
worried about this tab because the new server will require a re-config anyways.
Under the media tab I can see label templates and media pools.  Under index, I
can see all the hosts, but when I double click one, I get the following error:
no savesets were found for xyz.host.com.
Under volumes, I see nothing.

Running an nsrck -L 6 looks ok:
nsrck: checking index for 'hostname.companyname.com'
nsrck: /mountpoint/nsr/index/hostname.companyname.com contains 862511 records
occupying 87 MB

Running an nsrck -L 7 bombs:
nsrck: checking index for 'hostname.companyname.com'
nsrck: The file index for client 'hostname.companyname.com' will be recovered.
nsrck: The index recovery for 'hostname.companyname.com' failed.
nsrck: File index error: can't find index backups for
'hostname.companyname.com' on server 'sunserver.companyname.com'

If needed, I can paste the truss output for a nsrck -L 7, but the output is
very very long.

I know this is not supported by EMC, but I have seen a lot of folks going from
Solaris to linux, so I am assuming that Linux to Solaris has to be possible.
Any input/help would be greatly appreciated.