Networker

Re: [Networker] Testing recoveries

2008-08-27 18:20:53
Subject: Re: [Networker] Testing recoveries
From: Stan Horwitz <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 18:20:41 -0400
On Aug 27, 2008, at 5:58 PM, Clark, Patti wrote:

I've been rummaging through the threads on this list and there have been
many that have talked about D&R and actually performing recoveries.
I've performed various recoveries as requested without much issue.

I have a new requirement to document and perform "practice" recoveries
to demonstrate the viability of backups. This is not specifically a D&R exercise as much as an assurance of good backups. D&R is a separate set
of documentation and exercise.  So, with Linux and Windows clients,
weekly fulls and daily incrementals, what is a good frequency and set of recoveries to go by? Biannually, quarterly, monthly? Alternate between
Linux and Win clients?

Patti;

What you ask is entirely site dependent. We recommend testing recovers once per calendar quarter and we do DR exercises on our most critical servers once annually where the relevant system owner demonstrates that he or she can recover their server's data from scratch to another server where the OS and associated applications are already installed.