Networker

Re: [Networker] Query in Staging from adv_file

2008-08-21 18:00:21
Subject: Re: [Networker] Query in Staging from adv_file
From: Bruce Breidall <Bruce.Breidall AT CONCUR DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 14:58:12 -0700
Excellent discussions.

I'd like to add that a lot of the benefits to implementing a VTL
solution are difficult to quantify. Eliminating off hours tape problems
is a huge ROI, but it is difficult to show that in justifying cost.

Another huge benefit in our shop is with oracle archive backups. If you
are depending on tape for that, and you have a library problem that
takes the whole library away, you could be in big trouble if you haven't
sized your archive targets to give you the window you need to fix the
hardware. VTL takes that concern away.

So many advantages, and you all have covered most of them. Decreased
backup and restore times, more streaming abilities, no physical tape to
deal with, etc...

My off hours calls have literally gone to zero since implementing VTL.
It also allows you to still leverage what tape investment you have
through cloning, because more times than not the alternative to cloning
through replication requires a pipe size that most companies cannot
afford. This is one reason I like VTL over NAS AFTDs. This then creates
potential for doing more cloning in the same window, because you have
more "tape" resources. The other is being able to get fibre speeds on
VTL tape. When Ethernet 10 Gb becomes more mainstream, then the fibre
will become less of a compelling factor.

I think that adding dedup is the tricky part, because that in almost all
cases requires extensive analysis and redesign of the backup
infrastructure  to make sure the performance limits of your dedup
appliance are not exceeded. The part I don't like about that is that
this is not usually obvious, depending on the vendor you are working
with. This is where the backup product flexibility and structure may or
may not lead to an easy supportable solution.

I think most of the backup products are coming up to speed on being able
to take better advantage of dedup, and if not, they will if they want a
future with dedup solutions. Conversely, the VTL and dedup solutions are
getting better at handling those inherent bottlenecks of an existing
backup infrastructure.

VTL is the single greatest addition implemented in our backup space, for
the single reason of eliminating the headache of supporting physical
tape and hardware.

And, no off the cuff NW remarks. VTL will help any backup product, and
it is the bigger shops that it becomes extremely attractive.

I am familiar with the Diligent and EDL product lines. Both work
superbly, when implemented correctly.