Networker

Re: [Networker] Query in Staging from adv_file

2008-08-20 14:59:56
Subject: Re: [Networker] Query in Staging from adv_file
From: steve sorenson <networker.user AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 11:47:31 -0700
 Davina Treiber wrote:

>>Bruce Breidall wrote:
>> Comparing Networker to TSM or any of those other products is like
>> comparing a tricycle to a BMW F 650 GS.

>That is not a helpful or useful comment.

I'll agree it wasn't helpful or useful, as the analogy was quite far from
reality.

>Moreover, all the products listed are aimed at the Enterprise backup market
and offer similar features with slight variations.

While they do offer "similar" features, that is not to say that NetWorker
offers a set of functionality that is equivalent to the other products.  I
have similar features to [insert one's favorite female supermodel/star
here].  I have legs, a head, arms, a mouth, etc.  But I'm missing a thing or
two that one would be looking for in a female supermodel.

While I don't agree with the Tricycle/BMW analogy, I would definitely say
that NetWorker would be dead last in a product capabilities comparison of
other products.   That's not to say it's worthless or a tricycle, but to say
that the three products are equivalent is not in keeping with reality.

Going back to the discussion at hand (Staging), the area where NetWorker
lacks the MOST (when compared to the other products) is in automating the
movement of data from one device to another, and that is the topic under
discussion at the moment.

>Your low opinion of the product is irrelevant, you may have your own issues
with NetWorker, this does not mean that it is a less capable contender.

Nobody's opinion is irrelevant in this discussion, as long as they can back
it up with facts.  What if his issues with NetWorker are addressed by other
products?  Wouldn't that make it a less capable contender?

I would say that your emotion about the issue should be irrelevant.  If
someone wants to discuss the merits of another product, then let them.  This
list is dedicated to helping NetWorker users and it's not sponsored by EMC.
What if a NetWorker user is best helped by switching products?  Helping them
come to that decision (whatever it may be) is in the best interests of all
-- since we're not being paid by EMC.

- Steve