Networker

Re: [Networker] Run a script when a group completes?

2008-08-19 17:42:13
Subject: Re: [Networker] Run a script when a group completes?
From: Preston de Guise <enterprise.backup AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 07:31:48 +1000
Hi,

On 15/08/2008, at 11:16 AM, trey85stang wrote:

awesome, Thanks for all the suggestions, the event notification would run this script on all jobs, I really only need it run for one job. Im going to go with the wrapper job to do this.

From the way I understand it...

Create a wrapper job, the pre command will kick off the job I want to run... when that job completes, the post cmd of the wrapper will kick off the script I need to run?

Is that correct?

[Since I made the original suggestion of wrapper job I should have responded to this - sorry, busy week.]

Yes, that's certainly one way of accomplishing the wrapper job. I've done this in the past for simple scenarios - e.g., shutting down a database when someone wanted an automated cold backup job.

One thing to bear in mind though is that the post job, when it is kicked off, does not wait for completion. If this is important, then using pre/post options is not so much a good idea.

E.g., if you wanted a configuration that did a cold database backup, then in theory the pre/post works, HOWEVER, if you want some "sanity checking" to make sure the database came back up, then instead of using pre/post, you may be better off just using a custom shell/batch script which:

(a) Shuts down the database
(b) Does the database backup
(c) Starts up the database
(d) If the database starts up OK, do the "sentinel save" so NetWorker marks the group as good/complete (e) If the database _doesn't_ start up, use whatever notifications you want, then _not_ do the "sentinel save", so that NetWorker treats the group as failed.

So in short, if it's critical that the post-action is monitored and its success is reflected within NetWorker, don't use pre/post...

Cheers,

Preston.

--
Preston de Guise

"Enterprise Systems Backup and Recovery: A Corporate Insurance Policy", due out September 17 2008:

http://www.crcpress.com/shopping_cart/products/product_detail.asp?sku=AU6396&isbn=9781420076394&parent_id=&pc=

http://www.enterprisesystemsbackup.com