Networker

Re: [Networker] Query in Staging from adv_file

2008-08-18 12:25:22
Subject: Re: [Networker] Query in Staging from adv_file
From: "Cox, Shawn" <Shawn.Cox AT PCCA DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2008 11:18:34 -0500
How many save sets are in your backup?  If only one, then you are out of luck
since AFAIK you can't send a single saveset to multiple devices simultaneously.
How many LTO2 drives do you have access to from the Networker server?
How are the LTO2 drives connected to the Networker server?  SCSI, Fibre, etc.
What is the Network architecture between the db server and the networker
server?  80MB/sec sounds like 2-3 teamed GBit NICs.
What is the adv_file disk architecture?  What kind of local disk access metrics
do you see on it?  Read/Write MB/sec?

45MB/sec is max for LTO2.  I don't personally stage multiple savesets from the
same volume at the same time, but I think I remember reading about someone who
was able to do so from the RO instance of the adv_file volume.  If so you could
initiate multiple stages if you have multiple savesets and multiple drive
targets.  But at some point you are going to saturate your connection to the
LTO2 drives unless they are on separate scsi busses or fc fabrics.

Another option is to begin staging savesets prior to completion of the entire
backup.  But this depends greatly on the number and size of the savesets in
question and will require some pretty interesting scripting.

Also to consider are the impact to your network during the two scenarios.  In
scenario one you have ~40MB/sec impact to your network for the total backup
time of ~16 hours.  In scenario two you have a ~80MB/sec impact to your network
for ~7 hours at which time the workload shifts completely to your networker
server.  If your db's are offline during backup, then scenario two seems a much
better way to go.

--Shawn