Networker

Re: [Networker] Networker 7.4 SP2 - How to start over

2008-08-12 14:57:28
Subject: Re: [Networker] Networker 7.4 SP2 - How to start over
From: MIchael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 14:51:30 -0400
EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU> wrote on
08/12/2008 01:39:08 PM:

> In regard to: [Networker] Networker 7.4 SP2 - How to start over,
JGillTech...:

> > Is there something
> > I should do before I wipe out the current install?
>
> Read the threads in the archive that Michael Leone has been involved in
> in the past couple weeks.  He's experienced some major difficulty
getting
> at his old savesets because client ids weren't preserved when he moved
> a new system.

Hmmm ... I don't know if I've become a good example, or a horrible warning

> Assuming the hardware and the server name will stay exactly the same, I
> would (off the top of my head)
>
> - run an mminfo report with client names and client ids, and save that
>    to a file on some other system.  Even if you change the client names,
>    there's no harm (and there's some benefit, as Michael has learned) in
>    preserving the client ids when you create the clients on the new
server.

>     mminfo -a -r 'client,clientid' | sort -u > clients-clientids

Oh, yes. :-)

> - save to a file (and probably print and store in a secure area) all
>    your current licensing info, including the enabler and auth codes.
>    When you reinstall, you will need to input the enablers to activate
your
>    licenses for a "trial period" (probably 45 days).  You may even be
able
>    to use the same auth codes (which permanently activate the licenses),
>    but I wouldn't bet on that.
>
>     echo 'print type: NSR License;' \
>        | nsradmin -s yourservername -i - > networker-enablers

Also good.

> - do a full backup of your server using NetWorker
> - do a bootstrap save (if it didn't happen as part of your server
backup).

Do that each and every day. A bootstrap backup is a "savegroup -O".

> - run a bootstrap report, and save that output somewhere offsite.  Make
>    a note of what volume your bootstrap is on, and put that volume
aside.

>     mminfo -B > networker-bootstraps

Another step I will be implementing, and then auto-emailing to myself
every day ...