Networker

Re: [Networker] Can you "scanner" a SDLT tape in a SDLT-600 library?

2008-08-11 14:34:11
Subject: Re: [Networker] Can you "scanner" a SDLT tape in a SDLT-600 library?
From: MIchael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2008 14:29:19 -0400
EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU> wrote on
08/11/2008 02:11:29 PM:

> In regard to: Re: [Networker] Can you "scanner" a SDLT tape in a
SDLT-600...:

> > EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU> wrote on
> > 08/11/2008 01:02:28 PM:
> >
> >> I'm wondering .. if I have a SDLT-320 tape, can I load it into a
> > SDLT-600
> >> library, and run say "scanner -m" or "scanner -i" on it? It shiould
> > work,
> >> I think , since I am not writing to the tape.
> >
> > Apparently not .. it complained that that it knew the tape was an
> > SDLT-320, and it was in an SDLT-600 drive, and so wouldn't "scanner
-i"
> > (because it already existed in the media database).
> >
> > <SIGH>
> >
> > Suggestions?
>
> Delete it from the media database.  But then when you run scanner, it
> will mark the tape as the same type as your sdlt 600 drive is configured
> as.  Or you could redefine one of your SDLT-600 drives to be the type
> that matches the type your other SDLT-320 drives are defined as.
>
> The reason it's complaining is that the tape already exists in the media
> database, with a volume type of e.g. sdlt320.  You're trying to scan it
> on a drive that is defined within NetWorker as some other type, e.g.
> sdlt600.  NetWorker is trying to add the volume to the database but it
> can't since there's already a volume there with a different type.

Sooooo .... if I scan it on an SDLT-600 drive, I will *always* have to use
that tape in a SDLT-600 drive from now on? It's marking the tape the same
as the drive, even though the tape is *not* the same as the drive.

I don't want to redefine my SDLT-600 drives .. I need them read/write as
SDLT-600. I just (somewhat naively) assumed that I could use a SDLT-600
drive to read a SDLT-320 tape (which the hardware is capable of doing),
but apparently NetWorker is blocking me from mixing and matching tape
types.

Everywhere I turn, obstacles ...