Networker

Re: [Networker] Problems renaming NW 7.4.2 server in Windows

2008-08-08 15:14:57
Subject: Re: [Networker] Problems renaming NW 7.4.2 server in Windows
From: MIchael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2008 15:14:04 -0400
The re-install of NMC got me in.

Here's the BIG problem ... I have a server, that has a completely
different clientid from the server that created my 18 months worth of
backup tapes. I am trying to rename this new server to be the old servers
name. However, there is no chance that it will have the same client ID; I
don't have the old client ID. The server is gone, reformatted, and I don't
have the client ID written down.

Here's what I am having VAST amounts of trouble understanding ... why
can't I rename this server back to the old name; run a mmrecov on the
bootstrap tape made by the last server, and have it all Just Work? Tech
Support is telling me it won't work, because the new server will have a
different client ID than the old server.

So how in hades does a D/R recovery work, then? If my building had burned
down, you mean to tell me I'd have to know that 24 digit client ID,
*before* I could install NetWorker on the replacement hardware and run a
mmrecov? Seriously! That doesn't seem right to me; shouldn't the mmrecov
just overwrite everything, and get back all my old clients and their
client IDs? If I need the old client ID before I could do a restore on new
hardware, wouldn't that apply to ALL clients? Am I supposed to have
printed copies of all those client IDs, before I could restore anything on
new hardware?

I *must* be misunderstanding something here .....