Networker

[Networker] Advice needed - mmrecov or not

2008-08-05 09:11:03
Subject: [Networker] Advice needed - mmrecov or not
From: MIchael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2008 09:07:01 -0400
As some may remember, my NW 7.4.2 server on Win2003 somehow had gotten so
screwed up, that my only option (and EMC Tech Support concurred), was to
completely rebuild my environment from scratch, on different hardware.
None of my backups were finishing, devices would go missing in the middle
of jobs, etc. Since I was mistrusting my backups at that point, I
re-created all my clients on the new box - I did not do an mmrecov, nor
did I change the client IDs on the new server to match those on the old
server. (yeah, I know - now - that part, at least, was not the right thing
to do). When I told Tech Support what I was planning, they said fine;
you'll just need to do a "scanner -m", if you need to restore in future
from a tape made on the old server.

Anyway, so that was 3 weeks ago, and everything has been running perfectly
- no errors, so it wasn't a problem with the hardware that was causing my
issue. Now, of course, I have a request to do a restore. I know and accept
that I'll have to do a "scanner -m". Fine; I do all that, but it says that
it is renaming the recovered client index to ~client1, since "client1"
exists (which is, of course, correct - it does exist; I re-entered all my
clients names when I made the replacement server).

But where is the "~client1" it spoke of? I don't see it in the client
list. I see the tape volume, and the ssid of the saveset, and that says
"~client1".

What I'm wondering ... before I get too deep into this, should I take my
old bootstrap tape (that was created with "savegrp -O" on the old server),
and do an mmrecov to get back all my old tape content information? It for
sure would make restoring easier. In fact, I can even live with having to
do a "scanner -m" to scan all the old tapes back in before I restore them,
if they'd only link to the same client name (I know, different client
IDs). Is there some way to just pull out the client IDs form the old tape?
They must exist on there somewhere, else how would a D/R recover work?

I'm just very leery of do a full mmrecov, and having my problems come
back. Ideally, all I'd want to mmrecov would be the clients (and their
client IDs), the tape volumes, and the saveset listings on the tapes. I
wouldn't want any device info restored - my 2 tape libraries, and 10 AFTD
clients (all disk based) are working fine, and I wouldn't want to make
them unstable.

So, any advice appreciated. I do have a call in to Tech Support, as well.

--
Michael Leone
Network Administrator, ISM