Networker

Re: [Networker] New libraries with LTO-4 & encryption

2008-07-25 09:27:11
Subject: Re: [Networker] New libraries with LTO-4 & encryption
From: "Clark, Patti" <clarkp AT OSTI DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2008 09:14:27 -0400

Thank you, Davina.  This info is exactly what I am looking for. Quantum
is using IBM drives in their libraries at this time. The sales rep just
sent me Quantum's White Paper on their key manager - they call it Q-EKM.
It is software that they are recommending running on a separate box from
the backup server.  Hopefully, I'll be able to wrap my mind around this
big change and not find myself in a big trap.

To reply as to why not use an appliance?  It is more expensive of a
solution for us.  You need an appliance for each channel connection.
For my 3-tape drive library I'd need at least 2 appliances.  Pricing
estimates run $20-$30K per appliance.  One additional thought, I started
looking at this subject last fall.  Already, one of the appliance
vendors has been acquired.  This technology is still shaking out and
there is no telling who will remain in the game and offer support until
the end.  IBM, HP, and Quantum will either be here or their technologies
will be supported because of their large presence.

One more observation for anyone looking to go LTO-4 with the idea that
encryption will come later, there are tape drives and libraries that
will do everything LTO-4 but NOT encryption.  Not now and not later.  I
was looking at a different, smaller library that supports LTO-3 and
LTO-4.  I just found out that it does not support encryption.  As Davina
described, the library HW/SW itself is an integral part of the
encryption management.

Patti