Networker

Re: [Networker] New libraries with LTO-4 & encryption

2008-07-24 14:42:15
Subject: Re: [Networker] New libraries with LTO-4 & encryption
From: "Clark, Patti" <clarkp AT OSTI DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 14:38:47 -0400

Just to clarify, the encryption that I'm referring to is strictly the
LTO-4 encryption, not the Networker encryption.  I understand that the
entire tape will be encrypted.  I also understand that if I'm to use an
encrypted tape other than the originating system, I need to share the
key(s).  Key management is an integral part of using encryption.  LTO-4
is not, by default, encrypting.  It is something that gets set on the
drive.  Other than turning encrypting off for a specific activity, why
would I not want to have everything encrypted all of the time?

Patti