Networker

[Networker] Size reported by NW is smaller than actual data?

2008-07-18 19:44:40
Subject: [Networker] Size reported by NW is smaller than actual data?
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2008 19:38:35 -0400
I've seen this happen sometimes in NetWorker. I have a directory that has, say, 900 MB of data. I back up that save set, and mminfo reports
something much smaller like 75 MB. Also, when I run an estimate:

savegrp -n -l full group_name

it likewise reports the same estimate.

However, when I recover the data, it reports 900 MB, and when I check it against the original data, it's all there.

*** I should note that the particular save set in question is a directory consisting of a number of sub directories, each consisting of symbolic links, so there's no actual data, but a 'du -sh pathname' reports about 900 MB of total size for the master directory (saveset). ***

There are no server side or client side directives in this case. We're doing hardware compression, no software compression. We're running 7.2.2. but planning to upgrade soon. We're using LTO3 drives on Linux snode with Solaris server.

Anyone seen this behavior before? Just seems odd. Maybe it has something to do with the sym links? The drives should compress the data, but I though NW always reported what it actually backed up?

Thanks.

George

--
George Sinclair
NOAA/NESDIS/National Oceanographic Data Center