Networker

Re: [Networker] Unable to find a cleaning slot in jukebox

2008-07-16 08:54:27
Subject: Re: [Networker] Unable to find a cleaning slot in jukebox
From: MIchael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 08:49:54 -0400
EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU> wrote on
07/16/2008 08:10:16 AM:

> Time to reconfigure the jukebox. This time with a cleaning slot.
> Configure it with n-x slots (where n is the number of slots in the
> jukebox and x is the number of cleaning tapes you want in the
> jukebox). So for a 200 slot jukebox with 1 cleaning tape, configure it
> for 199 slots. After this is done and networker is happy, you can
> manually load a cleaning tape into the cleaning slot the inventory it.
>
> At least that is what we do, others may do it differently.

My tape libraries do cleaning themselves, so I turn off auto-cleaning in
NetWorker, and just let the hardware handle it. We set the number of
reserved slots on the libraries console, and then it reports the number of
available slots to NW. I load up cleaning tapes in the slots, and then
forget it. :-)

It does mean that I need to check the library menus to find out how often
a cleaning tape is used, so I know when to change it.