Networker

Re: [Networker] Bootstrap and Index Question

2008-07-14 22:31:45
Subject: Re: [Networker] Bootstrap and Index Question
From: James Pratt <jpratt AT NORWICH DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 22:26:33 -0400

What this
> will do is prevent a bootstrap backup happening after every group
finishes. I even
> have a schedule assigned to that group so the will skip every day but
Sunday. Put
> all your clients in a index group. Create the pool and assign the
group to that pool.

Well, wouldn't the time difference between backups and indexes be an
issue in a restore event? (maybe im lost there?)

 I just have a very small tape pool named Index, upon which all indexes
are saved . immediately upon backup. As a result, I have about one
virtual tape that has all the bootstrap info for all backups since the
data is so small. I don't recall setting anything special up either, but
calling the pool "Index". (maybe im forgetful here to tho lol - windows
7.4.2)

Thanks,
jamie

> Run savegrp -O -l full groupname in the AM after your backups complete
or close to
> it. This will backup all indexes full and the server bootstrap. You
can even limit
> everything to one tape by using the -N flag with say 10. Have your
drive parallelism
> set to 10. All indexes and bootstrap on one tape most days. You do not
have to do
> the full on the indexes everyday if you so choose.
>

> EDWARD COTY
> LEAD STORAGE ENGINEER, LCNA, NACP
> WORK - 973-533-2098
> CELL - 973-296-0918
> EDWARD.COTY AT AIG DOT COM

What are the
> tradeoffs here?
>
> Alternatively, if you do the SGO backup, and take a clone of that,
then you are
> automatically not current again on the clone. Another catch 22.
>
> Is there a best practice with this? I don't see any problems with the
way I am doing
> this, other than the media DB shutting down for the duration of the
bootstrap save,
> which can't be helping other concurrent activity.
>
> Is there any official documents about this? The DR manual is just
about worthless in
> discussing and explaining these finer points. I have been searching
the archives, but
> there is so much there to look at it and try to narrow down.
>
> Thanks.

type "signoff
> networker" in the body of the email. Please write to networker-
> request AT listserv.temple DOT edu if you have any problems with this list.
You can access