Networker

[Networker] Bootstrap and Index Question

2008-07-14 16:09:03
Subject: [Networker] Bootstrap and Index Question
From: Bruce Breidall <bruce.breidall AT CONCUR DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 16:06:02 -0400
I was wondering what the best practice might be for storing index entries.
I think the media pool store index entries dictates if indexes are saved.
In our case, the pools have that parameter set, and in the logs I see that
the indexes are saved to the tape after the backups for the that group
associated to that pool. Finally, I see that the bootstrap is written,
which also includes the media DB.

It looks like the media DB is frozen until that job is done. If there are
many groups, and many pools, doesn't this cause a lot of delay and
overhead in the overall scheme of things?

Is it better to remove the store index entries on the media pool, and
manually request a special savegrp -O -G (SGO) once or several times a
day? If you are performing DR cloning, then the last thing you would want
to do is get the SGO backup, and eject that tape, but that seems like a
catch 22 if you are depending on that tape for onsite restores and
browsing capability via the indexes. What are the tradeoffs here?

Alternatively, if you do the SGO backup, and take a clone of that, then
you are automatically not current again on the clone. Another catch 22.

Is there a best practice with this? I don't see any problems with the way
I am doing this, other than the media DB shutting down for the duration of
the bootstrap save, which can't be helping other concurrent activity.

Is there any official documents about this? The DR manual is just about
worthless in discussing and explaining these finer points. I have been
searching the archives, but there is so much there to look at it and try
to narrow down.

Thanks.